Saturday, July 21, 2007

What attracts a fly...

My mom and stepdad are out of town. Being the great husband I have...he went over to mow their yard before they come home. It looks very nice if I do say so....he also came home and said that something smelled very bad at their house.

So, we went over there to see if we could determine exactly what was making this awful smell. Thoughts of a dead animal came to mind, dead fish in the fish tank, stinky garbage, but nothing could define the aroma that left the garage when I opened the garage door. Immediately, I gasped and knew this couldn't be good. I braced myself to see a dead animal. I used my nose and quickly found that yes...the freezer was not working.

I can not begin to tell you how stinky it was...the aroma had filled the inside of the house. I sent Chris (gagging) into the house with Wyatt and began to empty the freezer... thawed out. Flies somehow had this keen sense and began swarming around the rotten food. Fortunately, since they have horses there was fly spray and I was not afraid to use it. This was the WORST thing I have ever done in my life. It is worse than a poopy diaper, another child's poopy diaper, throwup from a kid, throwup from multiple kids in your classroom, and well...I can't begin to tell you the smell of ROTTEN food!

Chris brought a candle out to set beside the freezer. I wafted the smell of cucumber melon and began again to fill trashbags of rotten food. As the freezer was emptied, Chris brought 409 and cleaned the garage floor and inside of the freezer. The smell slowly changed but somehow lingered in my clothes. Again, this is the worst thing I have ever done. Lesson learned make sure your freezer stays plugged in with the door closed and working. If in doubt empty contents immediately.

The GOOD NEWS is that they now have a clean freezer, clean garage, and a good smelling house from ALL of the candles that have been lit. Yes, we blew them out before we left. I am not exactly sure what happened but hopefully the freezer will work again as now it is sitting CLEAN airing out. There are also 3 trashcans sitting ready for pickup on Tuesday. I don't recommend opening them. Thank God for trash men is all I can say. You know attracting flies is not recommended with rotten food.

Another post later of our recent trip to Atlanta and Tennessee!

1 comment:

summer said...

Yuck!

You and Chris deserve the loyal daughter and son-in-law award (if there were such a thing).

I feel like I need a shower now.