Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The power of a child...

Today Wyatt went to school with me for an hour. His sitter is sick, and Chris had a conference call this morning. So, Wyatt went with me and then I brought him home and Chris watched him the rest of the day.

At school, there was a student in ISS. He was sitting in the Assistant Principal's office with his head slumped down on his desk discouraged and well probably trying to go to sleep. I walked in and asked this child if he could do me a favor. I already have a relationship with this student. I taught him in the 1st grade and he is now is 6th grade. He lives with his Great Aunt if that is any help to his background and home life. He looked up and said, "Oh, hey Mrs. Grubbs." I needed to go into my principal's office to help with some paperwork for TAKS. I asked this child if he could read to Wyatt while I met with our principal. He looked at me and smiled. I told Wyatt that he could read his books to this boy. As soon as I set Wyatt down he ran over to the boy and reached up with both arms and climbed into his lap. It was the most precious sight I had every seen. The boy and Wyatt sat and read books for about 30 minutes. I later took in blocks and crayons. They played with blocks, drew pictures, and read stories for an hour and a half. The boy who was discouraged about life was brought a ray of sunshine through my little one today. Christ said, "Let the little children come unto me." How precious to watch the power of God in your child reach out to brighten the day and life of another.

2 comments:

jenny biz said...

Holly, that is a PRECIOUS story!! Our children do have their own little ministries! How precious of you to redirect that child with something positive! God is using you (and Wyatt) to show those kids Jesus!!

Kayla said...

THAT IS SO SWEET!